When can I order a bare lamp?
Due to the higher price of the lamp module, some customers choose the bare bulb which they use for replacement of the burnt out bulb in the original lamp module. This is not always easy. Dismantling and reassembling the lamp module can be quite a demanding task, and it is necessary to manipulate with the new bulb in gloves only. In addition to this, you may sometimes encounter further complications, for example, when the bulb connectors are firmly attached to the old bulb, you must find a way to connect them to the new bulb. For this reason, we recommend that the bare bulbs are only purchased by technicians, service engineers, and DIY specialists, and not regular home users.
Why should I disassemble the lamp module before ordering?
Before ordering a bare lamp, we recommend that you dismantle the original lamp module, for the two following reasons:
- To find out how difficult it will be to change the bulb in the module – try out whether you can manage to dismantle as well as reassemble it correctly. You should also make sure if any of the bulb connectors are firmly attached to the bulb. If this is the case and no screw is available to disconnect the power cable, you will have to cut the attached cable off. Then you can attach the connector to the new bulb, either using metal hooks (if there are handles prepared on the new bulb), or using hollow crimping cable connectors in case that the cables are also firmly attached to the new bulb.
- As you dismantle the old module, check whether it is in good condition and suitable for reuse. You should also double check whether the module shows the following visible signs of wear and tear:
- it has corroded connectors,
- it has melted in some places,
- the lamp does not hold firmly in place,
- there is dust which is impossible to remove due to the lack of accessibility.
If the module is worn out, make sure to order a new lamp module. If you are still unsure whether you can manage to change the bare bulb, you should buy the lamp module. It is a little more expensive, but you will save a lot of time, and often your nerves too.